Table 1

Nutrient composition per 100 kcal
Nutrient Study Formula (target values)
Control PDX/GOS* GOS†
Total Protein, g‡ 2.1 2.1 2.1
Total Fat, g§ 5.3 5.6 5.6
Linoleic acid, mg 860 900 900
α-Linolenic acid, mg 85 85 85
ARA, mg 34 25 25
DHA, mg 17 17 17
Total Carbohydrate, g|| 10.9 10.6 10.6
Vitamin A, IU 300 300 300
Vitamin D, IU 60 60 60
Vitamin E, IU 2 2 2
Vitamin K, mcg 9 9 9
Thiamin, mcg 80 80 80
Riboflavin, mcg 140 140 140
Vitamin B6, mcg 60 60 60
Vitamin B12, mcg 0.3 0.3 0.3
Niacin, mcg 1000 1000 1000
Folic Acid, mcg 16 16 16
Pantothenic Acid, mcg 500 500 500
Biotin, mcg 3 3 3
Vitamin C, mg 12 12 12
Choline, mg 24 24 24
Inositol, mg 6 6 6
Calcium, mg¶ 78 78 78
Phosphorus, mg 43 43 43
Magnesium, mg 8 8 8
Iron, mg 1.8 1.8 1.8
Zinc, mg 1 1 1
Manganese, mcg 15 15 15
Copper, mcg 75 75 75
Iodine, mcg 15 15 15
Selenium, mcg 2.8 2.8 2.8
Sodium, mg 27 27 27
Potassium, mg 108 108 108
Chloride, mg 63 63 63

* Supplemented with prebiotic blend of PDX and GOS at 4 g/L.

† Supplemented with GOS at 4 g/L.

‡ Sources of protein: non-fat dry milk and whey protein concentrate.

§Sources of fat: base blend of palm olein, soybean, coconut, and high oleic sunflower oils; DHA from algal oil and ARA from fungal oil.

||Sources of carbohydrate: Control, 10.9 g lactose; PDX/GOS, 10.0 g lactose and 0.6 g prebiotic oligosaccharides; GOS, 10.0 g lactose and 0.6 g prebiotic oligosaccharides.

¶Sources of calcium: In all study formulas, 66% of calcium was derived from non-fat dry milk and whey protein concentrate. In the Control, the remaining 34% was derived from calcium carbonate. In both the PDX/GOS and GOS, the remaining 34% was derived from calcium gluconate.

Ashley et al.

Ashley et al. Nutrition Journal 2012 11:38   doi:10.1186/1475-2891-11-38

Open Data